Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Like little ants

After we wrapped up things in the fountains, we wrangled the kids and carried them to the concession stand. Paola and I already decided we would let them end the day in a big way - poppies.

With my stroller overloaded by our belongings and Lane on my hip, I handed the girl working behind the counter three bucks and requested three vanilla popsicles. Paola had both her hands full with Andrea and John Oscar but I handed over the poppies so she could serve the kiddos.

Like three little ants, they followed her in a single file line from the front of the concession stand to the shady side of the building.

One of them chanted, "Poppie, poppie, poppie," the entire way.

Need I tell you who's child was doing the chanting?


Paola could not get the paper off the poppie quick enough for Lane. He stood in awe with his hand up waiting for his cool treat.

We could see their little minds working. "Oh," thought Andrea. "That's how it works." Up went her hand and in her mouth went her poppie.

Now, we're not sure how often JOA gets a cool treat. He seemed a little timid. Not quite sure what to expect when he put his hand up, was given the ice cream and sent to the bench to enjoy it.


"Is this how you do it, Lane."
We love that boy but could not help but laugh at him as he cautiously ate his poppie.


And getting these three to stay still long enough to photograph all of them together is near impossible.

Add poppie to the equation - instant photo op.

This is where JOA told us to let his mom know he didn't like it one bit. We forced him. He was only eating that poppie to make us and his friends happy.

See, mom, he didn't really want it.

All joking aside, the kids enjoyed their $1 poppie treats. Paola and I enjoyed watching them eat theirs while we ate ours.

As a stay-at-home mama, I get this a lot:
Oh, he doesn't go any where? You don't have him in day care at least twice a week. Well, a little socialization is good for them.

And, I even got this last week:
Don't forget, your raising your child to be an adult - not a child for the rest of his life.

My thoughts:
Blah, blah, blah.

Sure, I want Lane to have manners, to grow in to a responsible, hard working, honest man.

I also want him to enjoy his childhood.

He's 18 months old. Right now, I'm teaching him to say please, thank you and sorry.

I spent years of my life sitting behind a computer, making small talk, going to meetings and being nice to every interview and client I came in contact with.

Before that, my parents let me live it up as a kid.

That's just what Papa and I intend to do with Lane.

One day, he'll start following papa to work. Learning how to survey. Listening to him talk to clients on the phone. Following in his footsteps.



Right now, I'll socialize him - by taking him to the water park and letting him play with his friends.

I'll let him enjoy the feel of the shade and the sun mixed together at the end of the day.




I'll let him stuff himself silly - until he decides he just can't eat any more.



I'll let him enjoy the fact that he's one and a half and can let the chocolate and vanilla from his poppie drip down his belly.

I'll let him lick up every bit of that poppie - until the very last bite.

And I will enjoy it just as much as he does -

because he's only a kid once.

No comments:

Post a Comment