Friday, March 12, 2010

Just join 'em

The gray skies decided to hang around for another day. So, as promised, I headed out early this morning to find a pair of rain boots small enough to fit my babe's feet. When I say early, I mean early. As in, as soon as we woke up, saw the sky full of clouds, checked the weather report and realized we were granted just a few more hours before rain starting pouring from those clouds - we were out the door.

I shudder to think of what those who saw us thought. At Target, I forgave myself for leaving the house with Lane in his thermal PJs with a sweater thrown on top, because we kind of snuck around the aisles. However, when Target left us empty handed, I just wanted to beat myself for thinking it was OK to leave the house in the same leggings and t-shirt I wore to pilates last night - and then slept in - with a sweater thrown on top. I won't even get in to the state of yesterday's makeup still on my face because that was not a new layer of lipstick. It was yesterday's lipstick still caked on my lips.

As I ran into the little clothing boutique across the street from my house, I apologized profusely for our appearance. The owner assured me she understood as she handed me the firetruck rain boots - and I quickly forgave myself.

Lane rode home wearing the boots, and we didn't even go inside. I placed him on the ground, heard a sigh of relief and off he went to cover himself in mud - the happiest little Hoo I've seen in days.

I put Lane down for his morning nap with a blade of grass stuck in his hair and dirt between his fingers. Call me a careless, mess of a mama. I don't care. My childhood was filled with spontaneous play in the puddle moments, and I intend to fill my son's life with similar memories.

Go ahead and rain all weekend. We will just play in your puddles because if you can't beat 'em you might as well just join 'em.











No comments:

Post a Comment