Monday, February 20, 2012

Riddle me this.

My left brain boy (Lane) has found his "thing." Puzzles fit just right in to his way of thinking and playing, and he can happily assemble, dissemble and assemble again all day long the five puzzles he owns.

Lane's very precise when it comes to play. He usually plays with one toy at a time.

If Matchbox Cars are his choice at the time, then he's probably arranging them in a long line. Or matching them together by color or style. If Monster Jams are his toy of the moment, then he's usually taking one or two and racing them.

When his Football Guys are out, they are accurately lined up on the field. Red on one side. White on the other.

There's an exact way to play with his toys, and he will let you know how to do it when you play with him. There's no random racing of cars across the floor. There's no crashing cars in to blocks.

Unlike his mama, Lane's got a very organized mind. A routine of how to play with his toys. A way he likes to do things - each and every time.

That pertains to putting away his toys as well. At night, all of his Matchbox Cars go in one box. All of his Cars cars get lined together. His Football Guys go back in their bucket. And all of the blocks go with the appropriate blocks - alphabet blocks in one bucket, Lincoln Logs in another. All Monster Jams get lined up against his bedroom wall.

Once, while he was at school, I moved a bookshelf in to his room and placed the trucks inside its shelves. Upon his arrival home, he told me, "Hey, that's not where my Monster Jams go." Then he carefully took each one and lined all 50 of them back against his wall.

He doesn't lose toys. Legos go back in the boxes they came in. Any toys with pieces go back with the appropriate toy each night. Misplaced toys cause him much dissatisfaction.

He's lost one toy - the yellow peg in his baby peg and hammer game. The same game Evan plays with daily. He asked me where that yellow peg went. I told him we left it at Sunset Beach when he was just a baby. Weekly, he tells me we need to go back to Sunset to get that yellow peg.

Can you see where I'm going here?

Evan, who I think is going to be my right brain boy, loves a good mess. You can tell me all babies play that way, but I know better. Lane's been playing with toys in an orderly fashion since he was Evan's age.

Evan loves to put the cars in with the blocks. His is happiest when he finds a nice orderly game of Football Guys left on the floor - so he can smash right through them. He will bust right through a line of cars on the living room floor, as if Lane didn't spend 15 minutes getting that line just right.

To keep the yelling and hitting to a minimum, I've asked Lane to keep certain toys in his room. When we first started doing puzzles, we would find a nice spot on the floor and put them together. Then, Evan figured out what we were doing.

Problem solved. I asked Lane to please do his puzzles on the kitchen table. That way, Evan couldn't get to them.

Well, here's one more way my boys are different. I never had to worry about Lane climbing on anything.

Evan on the other hand spends as much time climbing on tables, chairs, stairs and furniture as Lane does arranging his toys just so.

Any one want to help me solve this problem?


No comments:

Post a Comment