Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Music to my ears.

I might need to knock on some wood after I type this but lately we've had such a nice little routine around here. On Tuesday and Thursday mornings, Lane heads off to school. After drop off, Evan goes down for a nap and I do a little cleaning around the house. Once he wakes up, the two of us usually spend some time playing, loving on each other and then run whatever errands are easiest to do with just one kid in tow.

On Monday, Wednesday and Fridays, I've got both of my boys all day long - just the way I like it.

I've found that it is best to get up and get going and get out of the house around 10. On Mondays, we go to Lane's gym class. On Wednesdays, I go to my favorite class at the gym and the boys go to the childcare room to play with their friends. On Fridays, we might go back to the gym or meet up with some friends for playtime.

Evan's still taking his morning nap. Since I follow the parenting philosophy that each child is different so just listen to your kid and do what works for him, Evan will continue to take a morning nap for as long as he needs his nap and will go to sleep.

The time Evan goes down depends on a few different things: how well he slept the night before, how early he got up that morning, and how active he's been since he got up.

So, that usually means we have some time between breakfast and nap to play. Lately, I've been asking Lane to help me straighten up the breakfast mess and to help make his bed. After those chores are done, he's free to make as much noise as he wishes until Evan gets tired.


In a momentary lapse of sanity, I bought a music kit for Evan's birthday and a piano for Christmas. Those items, combined with the old xylophone I purchased for Lane at an antique store when he was a babe, can make for some delightful sounds coming from my house each morning.

Since that's the time the boys usually decide to head to Evan's room to make music.

Oh, it is quite lovely. The mixture of Lane's singing with Evan's ooohing with a little tambourine and piano mixed in. One kid will be shaking the maracas while the other bangs the symbols together.



I'm pretty sure it is a sound only a mother could love.

Good thing our new neighbors are old enough to require hearing aids.

Hopefully, they don't turn them on until after 10 am.

No comments:

Post a Comment