Monday, December 19, 2011

Our Trees.

Saturday night, both boys went to bed early. By 7:00 the house was quiet. I turned off all the lights and brought out all the presents to wrap by the light of our tree. Papa came down around 7:30 and joined me. He rested on the couch and chatted with me while I did all the wrapping.


I really love the style of our tree. Our house doesn't have a good spot for a tree. The best spot I can find is in our tiny dining room. We move the table around a bit and put the tree in the corner in front of a window.

James and I like to keep our tree simple. Oh, and a real tree is a must. We love the smell.

Our first few Christmases together, we didn't get a tree. We lived in a small townhouse and didn't bother. Our first year in our Cape Cod, we decided to get one. We both agreed to keep it simple: white lights, minimal decorations. That first year, our tree consisted of lights, some cranberry garland, and pinecones I collected from a nearby park.

We might not have gotten a tree the next year. I don't remember.

The year Lane was born, I spiced up our simple tree with a few birds. I thought they went nicely with our "natural" theme. I'm pretty sure I didn't collect any pinecones that year - having just given birth and all.

The next year, I added a few more birds to the collection.

Last year, we didn't get a tree. The Sunday before Evan was born, my mom was over. I ran to Kroger to pick up a few items and saw a little tree in a pot. I brought it home, decorated it with our cranberry garland and placed it on our mantel.

A few days later, Evan was born.


This year's tree has a few more birds. No pinecones. No cranberry garland - so little hands don't put little cranberries in his little mouth. A few strands of white lights.

I think it is lovely.

Oh, and the bottom half is naked. See above regarding little hands.

So far, the boys don't seem to mess with the tree. Lane does like to plug it in though.

For those of you who think it might be mean not to let Lane decorate the tree, don't worry. This year, I got him his own little tree - just for his room.


He loved decorating it. Or decoration it, as he says. I bought a few small ornaments, which I adore. All are knit animals that are dressed for winter. I think I'll probably find something to do with them once the holidays are over but it is still cold outside.

That's how cute they are.


No comments:

Post a Comment