Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Shamrock shake memories





We pulled up to the McDonald's drive-thru window late one afternoon last week to order some nuggets as a quick dinner for Lane when I saw the sign. Shamrock Shakes.

In an instant, I was transported as memories of my own childhood flushed to my brain. Not only could I see it - I could feel myself as a child going to McDonald's with my mom for the green shakes sold just once a year.

We went in her large Oldsmobile. I could see the color of the sky at dusk as we drove from our home in the country to the closest McDonald's.

I was four, maybe five. Less than six because Michael wasn't with us yet. My dad never joined us. I'm sure he was out of town.

My mom's young. Much younger than I am now. In her early 20s, at least 10 years younger than me, with a child twice my oldest child's age. She's skinny. With long brown hair. I can remember my mom's looks perfectly. I thought she was beautiful.

I can feel our emotions. The happiness the two of us shared as we drove together. The fun that all parts of drinking a shake involved.

Sometimes, we went with friends. Sometimes, just the two of us. Sometimes, we ate dinner. Sometimes, we just drank a shake.

They made her belly feel better. I remember her telling me that.

With just the flash of the sign on the drive-thru menu, my brain turned many trips into one memory.

And made me want to take Lane for a shake.

I shared my enthusiasm with Paola. We should take the babes to McDonald's for Shamrock Shakes.

We did. We gathered them together this afternoon for lunch and shakes. Each babe taking just a sip or two - too busy playing together to worry about the food placed in front of them.

We watched them play. Laughed at their silly ways. Kissed their cheeks as we handed them fries and nuggets.

This afternoon, as the boys slept, and I gathered my thoughts from the day, I felt something I hadn't felt last week when I saw the sign for the shakes.

Love. I have so much of it for my sons. My mom must have had so much of it for me.

She made drinking a shake just one time a year something special. Something to enjoy. Something we did together.

She took small moments of time and made them lasting memories.

Next year, I imagine we will gather the babes for a trip to McDonald's to enjoy some Shamrock Shakes. They won't remember today.

But we will take them any way. More than likely, we will reminisce about today - how different they looked and acted. How much they have grown in one year.

The trip we took today, and the one we will take next year, and each year that follows, will all become memories for us mamas.

Years down the road, they will become the same for our babes.





No comments:

Post a Comment