Thursday, March 12, 2009

Greener

Green has not always been my best color. But, I admit that at times in my life I wore it often. It is true - I often wished I had what others did. I wanted to be on the other side of the fence.

I have talked to other women who were in my shoes. They too often wore green. One friend told me if she saw one more pink or blue balloon - well, she was going to turn green.

I was at the hospital the morning my friend Sarah's daughter was born. I watched this little baby through the nursery window and fell in love with her. A little more than a year later, Sarah, her daughter and I waited for our friend Stephanie to welcome her son into the world. Just moments after his birth, I was by their side. That little blond baby boy stole my heart instantly.

Over the last four and a half years I have watched these children grow and change. More importantly, I watched my friends change. They were still the same girls I met at 18 years old but they were just a little different - they were mamas. That is what I wanted.

A few days ago, I was emailing with a long-distance friend. We were trying to catch up through short emails. With Lane sleeping, I sent her a message: "Call me when you get home from work. The babe is asleep. I will be folding laundry."

She replied, "Your a mama."

I am. And, it feels good.

In this instance, the grass is greener on this side.



(The backyard's new green grass courtesy of Papa.)

1 comment: