Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Cheerio confessions.

One day last week, the boys and I had to run in to the grocery store super early. (As in before school started because I didn't have a thing to pack in Lane's lunch.) While we were there, the marketing folks at Kelloggs and Publix caught my three-year old right where they wanted him - at the end of an aisle staring at the bright boxes of Fruit Loops perfectly arranged at eye level for a person who is three feet tall.

"I want des," he told me.

Here's the deal. As most of you who know me know, I don't eat sugar cereal. Actually, I don't eat much box cereal at all any more since most of it is made with wheat. However, when I did, I stuck to the boring stuff. In my younger wild days, I considered Life and Oh's the sugary stuff.

So, as a mama who sometimes needs a quick fix on the days we need to rush out the door and as a wife who is married to a man who eats a bowl of cereal each night before bed, I try to buy cereal low in sugar: Rice Krispies, Cheerios, Corn Flakes.

(My husband loads his down with sugar any way.)

Needing to hurry Lane along, I assured him I would buy him a box later that day when Evan and I did our big grocery shopping. That seemed to appease him.

Did I have plans on buying him Fruit Loops? No. Did I lie to him? Not quite.

What did catch my eye later on that day was a brightly colored box of Fruity Cheerios - perfectly placed at my eye level.

I compromised and brought home a box of sugary stuff.

James found the box first.

As he ate his nightly bowl of cereal, I asked him if he liked what I got for him.

"Yes," he said. "I remember when we called them Fruit Loops."

Then he let me know that we were going to need another box.


The next morning, I surprised the boys with a sweet breakfast. Lane was so excited.

He took a quick break from eating to show all of you how he can make three with his fingers.



Even the Giggle Baby got his own bowl.


He liked them too.

See,there's his big smile.

The cereal was so good (or maybe so sugary) Lane was singing.

And dancing.

And having seconds.

No comments:

Post a Comment