Thursday, September 2, 2010

New ride


Watch out world. He's got a new set of wheels.

Remember his Radio Flyer?

The one he received as an early first birthday present? I found it in a treasure store and knew it belonged to our babe. Papa fussed at me for the 20 bucks I gave for it. He has since apologized many times.

Remember how our babe resolved to ride his bike in a forward motion in 2010? I might not have told you, but just a few days in, he mastered that task.


He handles that bike like its a racecar. Turning corners. Chasing dogs. Moving from room to room around our Cape Cod. However, for a few months now, Papa and I have known that the bike would need to retire soon.

The babes knees almost touch his elbows while he's riding.

We began our search for another bike - the next model up. What we saw at the stores disappointed us. If the bikes weren't plastic and covered in cartoon characters than they were way overpriced.

That's just not our style.



So, we decided to wait. We knew in time, the right bike would make an appearance. We asked Pops to keep his eyes open while at the many treasure stores he frequents on the road. We would do the same.

Worn just a little and already loved. That's how most of our Hoo's best toys arrive in our home.

Time and patience. That's how our Hoo arrived.

It's a reoccurring theme around here.



Then, last Saturday, I found it. After our weekly Saturday morning visit to the Farmer's Market, I headed to the consignment shop. I wasn't sure why. We didn't need a thing. Papa had dared me not to spend any excessive money this month.

Still, my car kept driving.

I saw it as soon as I pulled in the parking lot. He saw it as soon as I pulled him from his seat.

"Bike. Bike. Bike. Ride. Ride. Ride," he proclaimed.

I placed him on the bike to ring its bell and toss it's tassels, snapped a photo with my phone that was sent right to my mom and papa, and called in to the clerk, "We will take the red bike."


Inside, I looked around and left Lane to play with his birthday present. I figured he couldn't go far since his feet still don't touch the pedals.

A minute or two in to my shopping, I heard him squeal with delight and heard the sound of a bike running in to, well, everything.

I should know my boy well enough. He'll find a way to make anything work to his advantage.


Until his feet can reach the pedals from the seat, he'll just compromise. He figured out a way to ride his bike.

Buns on the top step. Feet on the ground.

His face showed just how proud he was of himself for figuring that one out.

When we got home that afternoon, I let him play with his bike in the driveway. Later on, he showed papa how to ride a bike that is still a little too big.

He's even figured out what to do with the seat.


It's a great place to rest your hands when taking a little break.

I'd like to keep the new-to-us Radio Flyer in the garage until December.

However, I just don't know if I have it in me. He's just too cute sporting his new ride around the cul-de-sac here on Allison Drive.

No comments:

Post a Comment