Friday, May 7, 2010

What I didn't catch

Yesterday, Lane and I found ourselves at home alone. Our morning plans canceled. Our afternoon plans postponed.

We don't find ourselves at home alone a lot. Lane and I prefer to fill our days with friends and fun activities. However, I've come to appreciate the rare days when we can fill hours and hours with just the two of us.


Without any idea of how I would keep my active toddler busy for the afternoon, I began pondering what we could do. The park? No, too hot already. A trip to Target? No, that's no fun for him.

The pool? Yes. My mom purchased a seven dollar kiddie pool from Dollar General last year that served us proud as a ball pit this winter. With the balls sent away, the pool has been sitting empty in the play room.

I thought it time to introduce the pool to its new home. And, to introduce Lane to the fun he could have with it in his own backyard.


Everything about this activity screams Lane.

He's (almost) naked. He's outside. He's playing with water.

The kid could not have been happier.





For more than an hour, I watched as he played. He splashed and laughed and kicked the water outside the pool. He called for his short hair to join him. He was tickled when she lapped up water as a cool-down beverage.

When he would tire from the splashing, he would take a break and wander the yard. He fed fish to the pups, checked under all his trees and bushes, and peeked in on the garden.

The activity proved a success for everyone. I enjoyed feeling the sun's rays on my skin as I watched my babe play. The pups enjoyed lounging in the grass.





When Lane got hot from all the running around, I taught him to scoop up water in the plastic cup then pour it on his chest. He laughed with delight each time the spray hit his chest.

I could not help but capture a camera card full of shots of him playing.





As the afternoon passed, Lane soon tired. He looked at me, asked for his snack cup, then retreated to the blanket where I was resting with a magazine.

Here's the shot I didn't catch.

My babe backed his little body up to mine and began to munch on his treats. With his buns pressed against my thigh, I had a perfect view of the back of his head.

We sat in silence and enjoyed the sun. Then, he turned to me and showed me the sign for love.

I'm not exactly sure how I felt at that moment. I think I felt as if the sun was only shining in my backyard. I think I felt its rays soak beyond my skin - in to my heart and my soul.

I think I felt gratified as a mama.

I think I felt justified in all the decisions I make regarding my son.

Lane has been saying the words "love you" for a few weeks now. He comprehends that the phrase is usually accompanied by someone's departure or when he goes to bed.

As soon as Papa puts his belt on in the morning, Lane understands he is leaving.

"Bye, bye. Love you," he will tell Papa. Or, sometimes, a waiter, clerk or other total stranger will be lucky enough to receive some of Lane's love when we leave an establishment.

Just a few days ago, I showed him the signs for I Love You.

This week, before he goes to bed, I look him in the face and speak each word as I perform the sign. His request for me to do it more and more leads me to believe he enjoys seeing me show my affection as well as hearing me profess my affection for him.

Yesterday, I think I felt proud. Proud of myself for the things I am able to teach my son.

Proud of my son, who is able to understand and feel the love that comes on a sunny spring day when it is just the two of us in the back yard.

When Lane showed me his love, I know I felt complete.


No comments:

Post a Comment