Thursday, February 3, 2011

We prefer pleasantly plump

Well folks, it is happening again. Time's moving entirely too quick. Six weeks has passed in a blink of an eye. And in that time, Evan's made himself right at home here at our cozy Cape.

While we know his physical features resemble those of his older brother's, Papa and I are finally starting to recognize all the qualities that make him his own little man. Each day, he looks less and less like Lane to us and more like Evan. And, as most mamas do, I'm beginning to wonder how I ever lived without him or what it was like not to know his face as well as I know my own.

He's become that familiar to me in such a short amount of time.

Calling him our little man might seem kind of silly, considering he's tipping the scales at more than ten pounds. Read it again. That's right. Ten pounds. You might ask what we are feeding him - nothing but his mama's milk. And whatever I've got in there seems to be working just fine. Papa and I are pretty sure he's gaining in girth what he lacks in age - as to protect himself from his older brother.

Magically, as if six is the lucky number, this week has brought about an abundance of coos and awake time from our little guy. He still spends plenty of time sleeping; however, now when he is awake, he is really awake. So far, his awake time consists of lying on the floor flinging those long arms and legs about while darting those big eyes back and forth making sure his older brother is no where near.

When awake, if he isn't on the floor practicing his swimming moves or gaining strength in his neck during tummy time, than he's in the lap of his mama or papa getting some well deserved one-on-one attention and begs to show us his smile.

Another fun awake activity is tubby time. He's joined his brother in the big tub this week - with papa as his cushion - and it seems he enjoys being in the water just as much as Lane did at his age. My three boys look like a version of big, medium and small all crammed in that tub, and I just love to watch and listen to the three of them chat it up while partaking in one of their favorite activities.

Our nights seems to move just as smoothly as our days do, with Evan waking twice a night to nurse. He will go down around 10 pm, sleep until 2 or 3 am, wake to nurse, go back down about an hour later, wake between 5 and 6 am, nurse, and then go back down until 8 or 9 am. A mama couldn't ask for a better sleeper - in my eyes.

Speaking of a mama's perspective, I'm pretty sure what I see as I gaze down on my babe's face is different than what any other human alive can see. There's something about the way those tiny lips sit perfectly atop that pointy chin all surrounded by those chubby cheeks and topped off with that bald head that brings a sense of calm to my being. For me, the culmination of all those features fit together perfectly and peacefully - bringing me to project my feelings to papa every night as I snuggle Evan close before putting him to bed.

"Do you see it, Papa," I'll ask. "There it is. That face. The face of an angel."










Oh and just so you know it isn't always angels and sunshine around here. While taking these photos yesterday morning, both boys had quite the loads in their diapers. While the view of those beautiful faces was breathtaking, the smell in that room would have taken your breath away.....

No comments:

Post a Comment