Wednesday, August 4, 2010

House Guests

We had a special guest here on Allison Drive earlier this week. A certain little boy who anxiously awaits the arrival of his little brother.

With promises of a spend-the-night at "Baby Wane's" house when his mama goes in to labor, Drew has his overnight bag packed full of books, toys and balls (for the short hair).

With all of us crossing our fingers and wishing for immediate instructions to head to the hospital, Stephanie prepared Drew that his baby brother might arrive Monday night and he would need to stay at Lane's house.

Excitement got the best of him, and he made his mama and Nana bring him over a little earlier than Stephanie's scheduled doctor's visit.

With Lane napping, I had a little Drew time all for myself.

We made it rain popcorn.



Then added some M&M's to the bowls as we munched on our treat and watched old episodes of Tom & Jerry.

The short hair didn't miss out either. Eventually, once all the treats were gone, she climbed on to the couch and the three of us snuggled together and waited for Lane to wake.

When he did, we headed outside to enjoy the cooler (than 100 degrees) weather Monday gave us and draw on the driveway with chalk. (A going away gift from Val to Lane.)



The boys played together so nicely. These two boys who will soon be big brothers.





The curly blond hair boy has got it down. He's ready to be a big brother. We know he'll do just fine. He loves babies. Always asking to help feed a babe. Hold a babe. Help a babe put on his shoes.





He's got it down pat. Stephanie's ready to deliver our newest addition and begin the newest phase of her life. The Ward family is ready.







As for us, I'm not so sure. It hit me last week at my monthly appointment. I'm going to have two babes. I got excited. I couldn't stop talking about our newest little babe, who is growing just as he should be.

Papa's been excited. He's ready. Ready for two boys to take on camping trips. Two boys to wrestle. Two boys to teach to hunt one day. Two boys to love.

And then there's me. I know I've got enough love in me for two babes. I know I'll recognize his face as soon as we meet. I know I'll feel the same way I did with Lane - unstoppable love and the feeling as though I've known this little person my entire life.

Then why do I have moments of sadness. Moments when I feel like I'm taking so much away from my first babe. The babe who made me a mama. Our days are spent together. Playing, reading, singing, snuggling, loving. Most of the time, it is just me and my boy.

And I wonder what life will be like when it is just me and my boys. Will Lane feel sad? Have Papa and I made a selfish decision? Should we have given Lane more time to himself?


I look at this face and feel so much love. I don't ever want him to feel as if I don't love him as much tomorrow as I do today. Will he know that once another babe takes up some of time?

I've been reassured by other mama's of two that this feeling is normal. That, there is in fact, enough love in your heart for both. That these fears of hurting one while loving another will soon disappear after the birth of your second.

Yes, there will be jealously. There will be an adjustment period. So, as we meet the halfway mark of this pregnancy, I've decided to designate one day a week our date day.

I know we're together every day. But, on this one day, I'm going to take my babe out for some fun. We went Wednesday. Mama and me class and lunch at Chick-fil-A - just the two of us. We talked and played and I reminded him of the day he became mine. Of the day he made me mama. I thanked him and reminded him how much I love him.

I told him we'd have a babe soon. A special house guest. However, he will always be my love. I plan to take my babe out each week - even after the babe arrives - for a special date.

To remind him how much he means to me.


Until then, Lane and I will continue to enjoy all the beauty that surrounds us. The friends we have. The good times we share. The new babes in our life. And these special house guests who played alongside us Monday afternoon - Mrs. Flutterby and Mr. Hopper.


1 comment:

  1. It is completely normal to feel that way. I had doubts up until I layed eyes on Madelyn. I had no idea how I could ever love someone like I love Damian. The minute I saw her and held her she was mine and I loved and adored her the way I love Damian. My relationship is different which each of them (probably becasue of being different genders), but I love them very much the same. I can't imagine life without Madelyn and you will feel the same way the second #2 arrives. Having another one makes it so much more fun!

    ReplyDelete